open upon request
In Romanesque style it is the oldest church of Esanatoglia and probably stands on an old pagan temple, as evidenced by a Roman stone dating back to the 1st century AD set on the bell tower.
The Pieve of Santa Anatolia stands on the burial of a martyr. The first historical information is in a document of 1015, where it was talked about the foundation of the monastery of Sant’Angelo infra hostia by Count Atto and his wife Berta. The monastery soon became the most important religious settlement in the area.
The church is characterized by a Romanesque exterior and 18th-century interiors, in particular outside it has a splendid 14th-century stone portal and a Roman epigraph placed on the base of the bell tower which, according to historians, would be evidence of a Roman settlement, called Aesa, at the time of the conquests of Augustus.
La web app Cuore di Marche è frutto della passione e dell’impegno degli autori.
Aiutaci a migliorarla, scrivendoci le tue impressioni:
The Cuore di Marche web app is the result of the passion and commitment of the authors.
Help us improve it by writing your impressions: