The Civic Art Gallery “Raffaele Fidanza” has its headquarters in the Ottoni Palace, construction of the end of the 15th century built by Costantino and Giovan Battista from Lugano and commissioned by Alessandro Ottoni. The Ottoni’s, vicars of the state of the Church, were the lords of Matelica from the beginning of the 14th century until about 1589.
The palace, completely transformed over the centuries, was used, as the home of the Papal Vicars, the Ottoni, as the residence of the bishops who came to the city, as a private house and as a barracks, before the municipality bought it in the 20’s of the 20th century from the De Sanctis family. Very little remains of the stately home: a room with a frescoed frame with stories taken from the Metamorphosis of Ovid.
The municipal museums occupy only a part of the Palace, second floor, which is accessed by two staircases, that of Palazzo Ottoni and that of the Town Hall, equipped with an elevator that allows everyone to access the museum collections.
In the Municipal Art Gallery “Raffaele Fidanza”, are exhibited:
For further information: please contact the Culture Office of the Municipality of Matelica.
La web app Cuore di Marche è frutto della passione e dell’impegno degli autori.
Aiutaci a migliorarla, scrivendoci le tue impressioni:
The Cuore di Marche web app is the result of the passion and commitment of the authors.
Help us improve it by writing your impressions: