The centuries-old bond between this rich, almost unspoiled landscape and its inhabitants shows in each old burg and in the harmony of woods and fields, where rows of vine are grown to be made into a locals’ favorite, Vernaccia wine. This path goes up Letegge Mount and meets the ancient trail in the proximity of Torre Beregna before proceeding to the Manfrica shelter. Due to its length and elevation change, the trail requires a moderate level of fitness.
The Castle of Serrapetrona, historically recorded as Serra Filiorum Petronii, was integrated as a free town in the district of Camerino in 1240 and remained in it for centuries. It had some independence as a terra raccomandata, a territory not of Camerino proper, but rather an adjacency largely subject to its power. Serrapetrona and its district are rich in fine artworks and landmarks. The parish church in Castel San Venanzo featured a Crucifixion by Giovanni Angelo d’Antonio, a fifteenth century local painter (he was born in nearby Bolognola) of the Camerino pictorial school. Another panel painting depicting a Crucifixion scene is in Villa d’Aria, at a brief distance from Serrapetrona. This settlement is on the ancient road between Rome and Loreto, which was used to conveniently reach either Camerino and Rome, or San Severino Marche and Loreto.
La web app Cuore di Marche è frutto della passione e dell’impegno degli autori.
Aiutaci a migliorarla, scrivendoci le tue impressioni:
The Cuore di Marche web app is the result of the passion and commitment of the authors.
Help us improve it by writing your impressions: