The suggested route connects Castelraimondo to the ancient trail between Rome and Loreto via the highlands above Crispiero. It extends across a lush hill country to a mountain landscape. The traveller can recognize medieval castles and towers spread out on the surrounding ridges. The best-known ruins are those of the twin watchtowers Fanula and Guardia. They were key to the fortified defence system that the State of Camerino had in place and that went as far as the Sibillini mountains. The itinerary follows the paved road to Crispiero. After that, the ascent continues and the traveller can enjoy a remarkable view.
The Castrum Raymundi was built on Camerino’s border to the neighbouring cities of Matelica and San Severino Marche in 1311. It was an extremely important spot, a natural point of crossing between valleys, as testified by the former presence of a customs collection point at Torre Bilancioni (now Torre del Parco) and of the hospitalis Rotabellae close by, where wayfarers would board. During the Late Middle Ages, the area’s strategic importance for interregional exchanges started to naturally decrease in favour of towns built on higher grounds: the road between Rome and Loreto, which was used by countless pilgrims, merchants, and travellers, now crossed Camerino. The same road, however, was easily accessible from here, and so were some of the most important sites of Christianity.
La web app Cuore di Marche è frutto della passione e dell’impegno degli autori.
Aiutaci a migliorarla, scrivendoci le tue impressioni:
The Cuore di Marche web app is the result of the passion and commitment of the authors.
Help us improve it by writing your impressions: