It was realized around the second half of the 13th century and it immediately had a strong hold over the population, so much that the city council of 1663 decided to intercede with the Vatican that had excommunicated the Francescan monks in Matelica.
Of the original construction only the basic Romanesque portal remains, but it shows an interest for a more complex architectural form.
The radical change took place between 1653 and 1719 when economic aid was sought.
The monastery, although unused, consists of two cloisters, while the church was renovated in the 18th century, enriched by the moderate Baroque style. The enlarged structure is located in the central nave that opens into the side chapels, more prevalent in those on the right that have assumed a predominant importance and there are preserved works of very considerable importance that make up a small art gallery.
Among the most important:
The back wall is occupied by a Crucifixion.
About the fresco Saint Francis and the Poor (choir, 14th century) It is likely that the author belonged to Giotto Paliotto’s circle of the highest altar. It is an example of 17th-century woodwork art. The decorative sacristy is entrusted to the far-from-modest caryatids, but it stands in contrast with the narrative and decorative exuberance of the 14th-century altarpiece.
La web app Cuore di Marche è frutto della passione e dell’impegno degli autori.
Aiutaci a migliorarla, scrivendoci le tue impressioni:
The Cuore di Marche web app is the result of the passion and commitment of the authors.
Help us improve it by writing your impressions: