The Cathedral rises where the former Church of St. Maria di Piazza originally stood, built in 1475 by architects Costantino e Giovanbattista from Lugano. The bell tower is the only remaing element of the older church, which now is placed in the middle of the new façade.
The Cathedral was opened in 1602.
In 1735 the church was enriched with altars and stucco decorations as part of a major renovation work.
Between 1924 and 1927, Florentine architect Giuseppe Castellucci completely transformed the inside of the church, making it more plain and sober appearance, influenced by the Neoclassical structure of the Basilica of St. Lorenzo in Florence. The older, Baroque structure is still represented by the two side chapels, placed near the high altar, and the choir.
PH: Erminio Burzacca
La web app Cuore di Marche è frutto della passione e dell’impegno degli autori.
Aiutaci a migliorarla, scrivendoci le tue impressioni:
The Cuore di Marche web app is the result of the passion and commitment of the authors.
Help us improve it by writing your impressions: